Saturday, October 6, 2007

At CLSU Collegian: Marianito Bitara, Prolific Writer of His Time

There was a small building at the back of CLSU Post Office, its plain facade faces the old registrar's office, and on its backside, is a Ladies' Dormitory. That small building, housed the Office of the CLSU Collegian Editorial Board.

As far as I can remember, the helm of CLSU Editorial Board was being held by top caliber
student journalists, namely, Gil Valenzuela, Nenita Garcia, and Nicanor Soliman, in their order of
succession, in a span of more or less 5 years, the length of my
stay in CLSU as student.

There was a humble guy who served as staff writer under those three great Editors-in-Chief. In the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, I would like to do the honor of presenting him, with my arms both wide-open and on bended knees, to call on MARIANITO BITARA, as the most prolific writer of his time at CLSU.

The first time I met him was on the early part of the first semester of my freshman year, 1980. He stays at a Dorm that I forgot the number now. But it is somewhat an elite dorm, because it does not belong to the majority of men's dormitory rows. It housed mostly Vet-Med students. His dorm is located adjacent to the Office of the Student Affairs (OSA), on the other side of the road, is the Faculty Canteen and the Bachelor's Pad. It is also a strong stone throw to hit the old market and just a mild stone throw to disturb a mass being celebrated by Father Glansbeck at the University Chapel.

Mar for short, showed me volumes of thick compilation of his published articles chronologically arranged and clipped in folders. No floppy diskette or CD yet by that time. He is not only good at writing, but also has an eye for photography, both literally and figuratively. You could usually spot him with a camera wrapped around his neck and always walks in a hurry.

He confided to me that whenever he writes a story line involving a male character, he usually gives him a name of Jessie for English and assigns Jesus for Tagalog medium. He is actually expressing a subtle exaltation of his religious belief.

He has a lot of articles published even on newspapers and magazines of nationwide and commercial circulation. No other student writer who made that concerted effort of exporting his works outside the campus and earning honorarium along the way.

I do remember one of his photo depicting a house moved the bayanihan way, but not on men's shoulder, rather, with the aid of modern mechanical advantage, on wheels, thus, the title: Bayanihan on Wheels, gracing Panorama Magazine.

Shortly after that brief encounter, I took the CLSU Collegian qualifying exam. Later, we found ourselves in the same editorial board. That was the start of my career as a trying hard staff writer.

Believe me, I only have one article contributed to the CLSU Collegian in my entire stint as a trying hard writer. Remember the title of my article? ... "Kasi'y Cdt. Private lang tayo" , and I received an honorarium of less than a hundred peso for that. I'm sure it's less than a hundred peso because I was counting coins when I received that money. And I guess, there is no hundred peso monetary bill yet at that time. What I can recall are those widely circulating big 1 peso coins and two peso paper bills.

But Marianito Bitara gets paid for his numerous article contributions per issue of the CLSU Collegian, in the amount that could more than matched his Cocofed stipend of P400.00. He usually tops in payroll over other equally prolific writers, like Tony Barroga-Literary Editor and Armando Lajom-Pilipino Editor.

Unfortunately, Me and Mar is not that close. In fact, I quarrelled him one time when he wrote something on my friend over petty misunderstanding with a dorm mate at ladies dorm 5. I ran like a knight in shining armor, so to speak, in defense of my dear friend. I detest the blind item he wrote putting my beloved in bad light. I contend that such story of personal conflict has no place on a school newspaper like ours, and that the subjects are not showbiz materials.

Well, that was 27 years ago, and I could just sheepishly smile from cheek to cheek at times I pondered about it. Hi Mar!, peacetime already!!! Gimme Five!!!

Mar is in Texas, USA now, and to my surprise, I saw him on You Tube holding a placard that proclaims: “Equal Custody for Good Dads”. It turned out that he is staging a lone rally for a cause about Equal Parenting Rights when he caught the attention of KBTX News, a television Network based in Texas. The sight of him in that bold and courageous instance prompted me to salute him left and right altogether. He is more than a prolific writer this time. He is a Great Dad too.

Mar in America, is now sporting a new packaging. Call him Mark with a “K”.

You can get in touch with him at mtbitara@equal-custody.org or watch him at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVuaA4L1KQ8



http://caramoan.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony! I just sent you an email without first having read this post; your long term memory is impressive. Di ko na matandaan ang mga details na binanggit mo.

Quarrel? I don't remember there ever was one between you and me. I know I had one with Nestor "Etot" Alvarez, but that would be another story. Did I hear he is now the mayor of Munoz? Don't ask me what I think. No comment.

About the honoraria from the CLSU Collegian - I hope it doesn't trigger an IRS (BIR pala) investigation over what they might consider a case of tax evasion.

The men's dorm next to the OSA, that wasn't an elite one. If it was I would not have chosen to live there. Kilala mo naman ako - ayokong mapasali sa mga burgis o paburgis noon sa campus. I chose to live there because of convenience - being close to the market, the OSA, the gate, infirmary.

So, are you the proud father of that fine looking boy whose pic is on this site?

I have two of my own, Matthew, 12 and Andrew, 11 who are both heavily involved in swimming. They practice weekdays except Thursday, beginning at 530am. The older one is turning in some impressive times in his age group. He will represent Texas in the Games of America in 2009 to be held in Colorado.

I will keep you all posted.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work, Tony!

Anonymous said...

i actually adore your own posting way, very exciting.
don't give up and also keep writing in all honesty , because it just well worth to read it.
excited to looked over much more of your well written articles, have a good day!